Off Armageddon Reef
|Title:||Off Armageddon Reef|
|LibraryThing:||Title:Off Armageddon Reef ISBN:978-0-7653-5397-9 (Add Book)|
Earth is dead. Humanity is hiding. Invention, progress, change... are all forbidden. It's time to change all that.
This brings together a number of themes and motifs that Weber has used in his earlier work:
- Female officer in a space-navy as the main protagonist (Path of the Fury, Honor Harrington)
- protagonist has more-than-human powers (Path of the Fury)
- bringing archaic technology to an even more backwards society (1632 series)
- the interaction of technology and military strategy and tactics (1632 series, Honor Harrington)
- politics and plotting (Honor Harrington, 1632 series)
- the interference of an oppressive church with much temporal power (1632 series)
- a "good" monarch (Honor Harrington, 1632 series)
I guess Weber set up the scenario so that he could play with his favourite ideas.
Unfortunately, the pace was so slow-moving that I couldn't keep up the momentum. I got about half way through the thick tome and gave up.