The eponymous cabbage soup of the "Cabbage Soup Diet"
- capsicum (green peppers)
- large pot
- stick blender (optional)
- Take equal portions of the ingredients and chop them up.
- Place in a large pot and cover with water.
- Simmer until tender.
- Optionally, you may wish to blend the soup with a stick-blender when it is cooked (and not too hot).
A time-saver is to buy coleslaw mix -- not coleslaw, just the mix without mayonnaise. Since it is mostly chopped up cabbage, that saves you the chore of chopping up the cabbage yourself.
Here are a few different flavouring ideas.
- chicken or beef stock cube
- whole peppercorns
- shredded carrot, ginger, cardamom, cumin
- basil, parsley, sage, marjoram, oregamo and other herbs. Even better to chop up fresh herbs and sprinkle them on just before serving, particularly chives and parsley.
- stir in a little natural skim milk yoghurt (just before serving)